Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!

Since the last posting, I've done a handful of fun things, a subset of which, in no particular order are:
-Watched the new Tron movie
-Hung out with friends at the Dutch Goose and in San Francisco
-Built up a new computer
-Had a small jump rope disaster/incident

The new Tron movie didn't make much sense from a technical standpoint, but that's not the point of the movie, right?  My main question after watching the movie is, since all the bad guys had yellow, orange, or red glowing lines on their clothes, why didn't the protagonists use some camouflage instead of decorating their clothes with white glowing lines?  Perhaps wearing red, yellow, or orange glowing lines could have allowed them to avoid the confrontations and violence with the "bad guys".  Oh well, that might have made for a rather uninteresting story...

What trip to the bay area would be complete without a journey to the Dutch Goose for some beers with my high school friends?  I think the short answer is: none.  That's why I've made it over to the Goose pretty much every time I've been back since 2000.

Around Christmas, I decided to build up a new computer.  This is an endeavor I have not tried in earnest since about 2002.  It turned out well, though, as I now have a small form-factor PC running Ubuntu Linux that should consume less than 30 watts of power (the 20" monitor, with snazzy LED back-lighting consumes about 25-watts, which I am not counting in the sub-30-watt power requirement for the PC).  I should have a real measurement of the power consumption sometime this coming week.  Anyway, new PCs are always exciting and so far this one fits the bill.

On Sunday afternoon, my parents and I were out in front of the house.  My mom was doing yard work and my dad and I were getting ready to make a trip to the electronics store.  I took out my old beaded jump rope and started doing some skips.  Then, I started doing double-unders, where the jump rope takes two trips around for each jump I do.  After about three double-unders, the rope broke, and beads went flying all over the street.  We did our best to clean them up, and I think we picked up most of them.  The aftermath is shown below.

A rope break while doing double-unders with a beaded rope makes for an exciting moment as beads fly everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment