Sunday, November 14, 2010

Why are the Brits so fast on the track?


After racing a couple weeks in Manchester, with 10-km scratch races on Tuesday league nights routinely being faster than the scratch races at US Nationals, I was wondering the other night, what makes Great Britain cyclists so fast?

I think the answer may be related to Squidgy Energy. I'm not sure what it is, yet, but it is advertised extensively along the bus journey I take each time I go to visit the Manchester Velodrome. The following images are all examples of advertisements for Squidgy Energy:

On the way to the bus to the velodrome, I see advertisements for Squidgy Energy.


It's not just one; this was the 2nd ad between the hostel and the bus stop.

Near the Piccadilly Gardens area, there was another Squidgy Energy ad.

And in front of the Tesco near the hostel, there was yet another Squidgy Energy ad.

On the way back from the velodrome, I caught two more Squidgy Energy ads.  Taking a picture out of a moving bus, with a pocket-sized camera, does not always turn out well.  Even without much focus, one can tell this is a Squidgy Energy ad from the blurred bits of butter in the top-center.

After departing the bus on the return from the velodrome, I passed by another Squidgy Energy ad.


If this Squidgy Energy is the Brit's secret weapon for riding fast and winning Olympic gold medals and world championship jerseys, I should see about importing some of this Squidgy goodness into the US and see if its properties work to enhance track cycling on the west side of the Atlantic.

Now, to find some Squidgy Energy...

No comments:

Post a Comment