Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Most complicated travel day yet

Today was arguably the most complicated travel day I have yet experienced in my 28 years and 15 days of life on this planet.

A recurring thought; what is it with all-day or all-the-time activities not really being continuous?!?  Here is another example from today's journey:
Here is the breakfast menu you can order from all day, so long as you are there before 11:00am.  Come on Britain!


Before going to bed, I will try to recall all the segments of today's trip:
-Walk from hostel in Manchester's Northern Quarter to Piccadilly train station, ignoring some punk kids who threw a rolled up newspaper at me (they missed).

-Train from Piccadilly to Manchester airport, where I read a newspaper article about a 10-year-old girl who gave birth to a child in Spain and nearly vomited.  Maybe that's why the punk kids threw the newspaper... they saw the article too?


If this vehicle comes to service your airplane, things have gone horribly wrong.

-Swiss Air flight from Manchester to Zurich.  The Swiss know how to do air travel right, with a small sandwich on a fresh-baked baguette and some Swiss-made chocolate.

-Bus from the airplane to the terminal.  Next time, get off the bus a little quicker.

-Short walk from the bus drop-off location to customs where I got to convince the customs agent I was not a viking raider here to sack central Europe (or at least not for more than 90 days).

-Another bus from the gate to the next plane.  Apparently Zurich does not have a lot of jetways...

-Swiss Air flight from Zurich to Berlin.  I slept most of this flight, but still enjoyed the fresh-baked baguette sandwich and chocolates (the couple sitting next to me woke me up when the sandwiches were being passed out, maybe I looked hungry?).

-Walk from the gate to the bus station in the Berlin airport.  Along the way, I picked up some monopoly, I mean Euro, money from a cash machine.  I also bought a smoothie which was outrageously expensive for how tiny it was, but it hit the spot in terms of a quick boost until I reached the hostel.

-Bus 128.  Hey, you've got to respect bus 128.  That's 2 to the 7th power...

-U8.  Sort of like a U-boat, which I learned about at the Maritime Museum in Liverpool, but this one goes under the city of Berlin and is not subject to being blown up by the British Navy.

I arrived at the hostel in the correct number of pieces, found a store to buy airplane-compatible toothpaste, stumbled through ordering dinner, enjoyed a pizza-like thing with feta cheese and spinach on it and 500ml of beer, and now am off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment