Sunday, October 28, 2012

Subterranean cycling and a bit of word-play

Three weeks ago, I arrived in North Dakota after an uneventful drive from Boulder, CO.  The new job started right away, and I'm finally getting into a somewhat stable weekly routine.  I've even found a coffee shop where I can sip tea and use the complimentary WiFi to check e-mail, read news, and compose new blog posts.

This image of the North Dakota flag was copied from Wikipedia, a fantastic source for information about most everything you can think of.
 Yesterday we had some snow fall in the afternoon with a little accumulation overnight, so when I got up this morning, I became a subterranean cyclist.  I filled up a bottle of water, unfolded the rollers in front of the TV and stereo in the basement, started a DVD from Netflix, and rode tempo until the credits ran.  Oofda!  When spring comes around, I think I'll either be reasonably fast or have hung up the bike and quit.  On the plus side, the probability of being hit by a motor vehicle while riding in the basement is small, probably in the same neighborhood as the probability of being hit by an aircraft.

Towards the end of the week, I managed to make two jokes that were generally well-received.  The first was at work Friday afternoon when a system engineer miss-typed and assigned a project requirement to "menufacturing".  I pointed out that is where one would go before opening a restaurant.  Then on Saturday morning grandma asked where a bus, parked in the mall parking lot, was from.  The side of the bus read Beaver Bus Lines.  I concluded, "It's from some dam place."  Beaver Bus Lines is a charter bus tour service based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The tea in my cup is running low now, and it's about time for lunch, so I'm going to log off and find some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment